CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Opposition in all things...

As many of you know... I am entirely enamored with my nieces and nephew... AND I love to post adorable pictures...favorite smiles...heartwarming memories etc. This one for instance is at 'hammy's house' when God had not yet been thanked for the meal... and she put her little head down and just waited until the food had been blessed.

My personal study this week has been in the second Book of Nephi... from the Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ (http://scriptures.lds.org/en/bm/introduction) In it, Nephi is recording the doctrinal teachings of his father Lehi who was a prophet roughly 600 years before Christ came, at the time Jerusalem was destroyed. By divine design Lehi and his family left Jerusalem, preserved the records of the people, and journeyed in the wilderness.

Personally I think it would have been a great adventure...though I doubt they had MSR WhisperLites...

No, seriously they suffered great hardships. Lack of food, possessions, the comforts of home, they even gave birth to chidren while dwelling in tents. After sharing incredible insight as to the nature of and educating value of opposition, Lehi makes his declaration that after having been subject to both the good and the bad...we are then enabled to 'choose the good part.' (http://scriptures.lds.org/en/2_ne/2)

I thought a great deal about the things I appreciate, and why I appreciate them. One of the simple joys I have in life is laughing with children that I love... or beautiful moments like this where Samantha understood the importance of prayer... I know for a fact that I would not appreciate the good times so much with no exposure to the bad. For instance how would I know the difference between silence having heard no noise. How would I differentiate between laughter and tears if I had known no sorrow? I love that at the point I am at in my life... it is entirely up to me how I will act and what I will choose. I am excited and know that for every decision there is a consequence--and when we do as the Lord asks we are truly blessed. Bring on the blessings!!!

And yes, I realize that not all blessings come as we desire... but they will come as what is best for us. So whenever I feel sorrow, pain, fear, anger or any difficult emotion... I will revel in the reality that because of it I can better feel and appreciate joy, comfort, faith & contentment...

And so it is in taking the good with the bad that I find myself endowed with the capacity to appreciate opposition in all things... and find myself able to choose the better part...

2 comments:

Laura said...

hahahaha, this photo of your niece is the best EVER.

Ashley said...

Thanks Pugs! I miss you and hope you and Jason are both incredibly well!

Love from out West!