CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Humility

Humility
Noun:
the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.
Origin:
1275–1325; ME humilite < L humilitās. See humble, -ty
Synonyms:
lowliness, meekness, submissiveness.

Lowliness
–adjective 1. humble in station, condition, or nature: a lowly cottage.
2. low in growth or position.
3. humble in attitude, behavior, or spirit; meek.

–adverb 4. in a low position, manner, or degree: a lowly placed shelf.
5. in a lowly manner; humbly.
6. in a quiet voice; softly: to converse lowly

Meekness
–adjective, -er, -est. 1. humbly patient or docile, as under provocation from others.
2. overly submissive or compliant; spiritless; tame.
3. Obsolete. gentle; kind.

Origin:
1150–1200; ME meke, meoc < ON mjūkr soft, mild, meek

Submissiveness–adjective 1. inclined or ready to submit; unresistingly or humbly obedient: submissive servants.
2. marked by or indicating submission: a submissive reply.

I have recently chosen to be more humble. And I don't say that to be prideful or to insinuate that I am some great person because of this... it is possibly one of the most difficult things I have ever undertaken and for me it is a process. Learning to ask for help or not rely on my own strength. Learning to rely more fully on the Lord and come to a greater awareness of my nothingness without Him. Learning to face my weaknesses and ailments and to choose to humbly seek divine assistance. Learning to trust others and to allow them to see me exactly as I am--weaknesses & strengths. I believe there are times in our lives when our afflictions humble us--and then there are times when we could continue on doing "well-enough" in our prideful state, but the Lord invites us to come to Him, see our weaknesses, and yield to the enticings of the Holy Spirit that we may become humble, lowly, meek, submissive--and work to cultivate those and many other Christ-like attributes... And I am trying to do just that.

4 comments:

Brabby said...

Being humble is very difficult, but I'll be happy to help humble you! :)

Ashley said...

That may be my favorite comment yet... and I think it may come to fruition when you help me with my finance homework :)

Tara said...

I've been thinking about you a lot lately! I hope you are doing well! I miss you and love you!!!

Chelise said...

I love it :). I think you're quite humble... and strong. Love the combination that only you can give :)