CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 8, 2008

Joy to Everyone!

The First Presidency Christmas Devotional was the highlight of this Christmas season for me thus far. In a world where everyone is focus on the economy and buying--to remember the birth and life of Jesus Christ with joy and gratitude.
http://www.lds.org/move/index.html?type=Christmas&event=2008&lang=english

Who can I serve? How can I retain the true meaning of Christmas? How can I not become distracted from the true meaning of Christmas?

I have to be honest, I don't really remember any gifts I've received; however, the most memorable Christmas traditions were spent in the service of others. Cutting the prettiest tree out of our yard and decorating it for and with my great-grandmother--hearing where every ornament came from and about the thousands of lives that had blessed hers, serving breakfast to the homeless in downtown SLC and passing out the numerous coats and warm clothes we'd gathered, the Christmas my brother Scott met a woman who came to buy a car from him--and not only could she not buy a car--she and her kids would have no Christmas or even the basic necessities of life--and he got them everything from a tree to food and toys. Doing the 12 days of Christmas for people--one of whom went out of town in the middle and probably wondered what happened to the other 5 days... Watching all year for the things that people need and would not do for themselves and being able to help them. When we were really little, we had a manger under the tree and when we did nice things for others we got to put a piece of straw into the manger--and then by Christmas--have created a place for Christ in our home. There was the Boca Raton Ward Market place, where we were able to wash the feet of the people as they did in the ancient world at the time Jesus Christ ministered to the people.A little something the director of Fine Arts @ BYU created, it helps to encapsulate the knowledge and joy Christ brought into the world that I hope to bring into the lives of those around me. After all, God our loving father wants us to be happy and experience joy. Merry Christmas!
http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vd3d3LmpveXRvZXZlcnlvbmUuY29tLw==

2 comments:

Jeri May said...

I'm thinking of you!
"Memories are inspiration for future Christmas'" Just a little something one of my children shared with us last year...in remembering our own family traditions. Call me sometime or drop an email.

Cassia said...

Thank you. I really liek the idea of having the children help to "create a place of Christ" in the home. That's a really cute, and wonderfully tangible, way to help keep the thought of Christ and the nativity throughout the season. :)

I do hope to visit with you sometime in the next week--just let me know when is best! :)