CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 16, 2007

'An Attitude of Gratitude...'


Today was okay. Started early with work and was kind of melancholy, but nothing too unusual. I'd wanted to call my family pretty much all morning--the kids had slept at 'hammy shans' so i knew i could call there; however, I did NOT want to wake them up. So I let a few hours pass and figured it was safe to call them around 10 o'clock their time--no answer--so i called a few more times--each time leaving crazy messages for my mom. even calling her land line--which if you know anyone in the family you know that is the least effective means of communication--I'd have better luck with 2 plastic cups and a string tied between them ;)

NO luck still.

Finally I gave up on 'hammy shans' phones and called uncle brad--sure enough--Sammy answered the phone!!! "Ah-eeE, Ah-eeE, Ash-eEE!!!" I got to talk to them--they were on their way to Hogle Zoo! and boy were they excited! The train--and of course the "mohn-kee's" (Samantha's new word--and it is really cute.) So I talked to them until they were in the parking lot and then let them go :( a little saddened by the 3,000 miles when 'Stockt-O' said so how many days until you come to UTA-hh? How many hours? That's a lot.

I couldn't get the kids off my mind all day! I called my mom's phone which obviously she did not have on her--3 or 4 times. Then finally I called Uncle Brad again--just wanting to hear their voices. I know it must sound crazy cause long amounts of time have passed since they moved to Ohio and I can't talk to them--but I called again--

They had just been in a car accident. A complete tire had come off a truck and had mangled the front end of my brothers fiances car. I am so grateful they weren't in his little BMW. I am so grateful the tire didn't go through the windshield. All 3 little ones were sleeping in their car seats in the back seat--only Syd stirring awake as the accident happened--with my mom in the front seat and Brad driving--how grateful I am that they were safe. When someone said they must have had angels watching out for them--Little Sydney added in--'it was my daddy."
How grateful I am for the people I love. Abby's new little Subaru has definitely seen better days--but it doesn't even matter--considering what it kept safe today.
A few days ago--a really good friend had suggested that I make some lists of the good things in my life-people and circumstances--and i had tried--it just wasn't very easy. So I have really made it a matter of prayer to seek and cultivate a greater attitude of gratitude--today that prayer was answered in a striking way...maybe not so graciously--but undeniably. I am so grateful for all those people that were protected in that car today--for my other brothers, and my dad. For the thousands of good people I have known in my life--and even for the days like today where the fragile nature of life is revealed so as to render a greater appreciation for those around us right now.

0 comments: