CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Today I Met the Prophet of God!!!

So I woke up and felt like I'd been hit by a truck... and believe me... I know what that feels like (in 2006 I was hit by a truck while jogging). You know when you haven't felt well for a while but you 'don't have time to be sick...' that's been me my whole final semester of massage school. With graduation last week and spending every minute free with Jason... I shouldn't really be surprised that it hit me like a brick wall.

I decided I'd "just be fine and get over it" but I felt impressed to go to the doctor. If you know my doc, you know that he is always scheduled at least 2 weeks out. Again, the impression to call and make an appointment--so I did. She literally had just gotten off the phone with someone who cancelled a physical for 12:00p today. I had 90 minutes to make a 60 minute drive :) God is so good to me! So I go in, only to find I have a sinus infection that has spread up into my ears and down into my lungs and that with time it only would have gotten worse.

Realizing that I really didn't feel good, and feeling justified in taking it a little easier than my normal 200% I went to my mom's house to rest. After an hour or so I started the drive back to Provo, and as I was driving down the street, I had the feeling to go to Mrs. Cavanaugh's. It's a chocolate store... hardly essential... I brushed the feeling aside. Again the feeling to go to Cavanaugh's--thinking maybe Jason hadn't ever tried them...? They are kind of a locals thing... So I flipped a U-turn on 500 South, and went back. When I walked in there was a man at the counter ordering chocolates, all in light... mindy mint, caramel, opera, lemon, orange etc. It caught my attention because they are the same ones loved by my family. It was then I noticed I was standing beside Thomas S. Monson President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Whoa. I didn't want to be one of those crazy stalkers who prevents important people from ever living a normal life, or buying chocolates in peace... so I tapped him on the shoulder and asked if I may shake his hand. He said, sure, so long as I'm not buying chocolates ;) I was more than a little embarrassed when the young girl helping me cut in to use the register in front of Pres. Monson, I encouraged them to help him first--thinking--here is a man, called of God to preside over Christ;s church--I should not hold him up at all! I think he noticed I felt that when I tried to insist they ring him up first--he politely and humorously reminded me that it didn't matter so long as he paid for them. Purchasing a few chocolates, I started the drive home once again.

This time as I got in my car I paid better attention to the music I had on--it was a hymn--I am a Child of God. I thought about the fact that I had the privilege of shaking the hand of the prophet. A prophet is the one who stands at the head of the church and represents Jesus Christ with all the keys necessary to orchestrate His mind and will on the Earth. It was one of those great reminders that God is aware of each one of us, that His gospel is again on the Earth just as it was when Christ himself ministered to the people anciently. As he shook my hand and looked into my eyes, I wondered if my life was ready for inspection by God? What more can I be doing? How can I improve? Are there things in my life that I need to change? I can honeslty say that I am doing all that I can, I am not perfect--but I repent when I fall short. I could give an honest accounting for my life today. I rejoiced that I didn't have to get in my car and change the music, or that I hadn't wished to quickly change what I was wearing. It filled my heart with peace and happiness to see an emissary of the Lord Jesus Christ today. I look forward to the day when Jesus Christ will again be on the Earth.

It wasn't a matter of life or death that I follow the impression to go to Cavanaugh's, but because I heeded those feelings, my life was benefited greatly--I was given the chance to reflect and ponder on the things most important in my life. It caused a great deal of introspection, and I am better because of it. I love that as I follow the impressions of the spirit, those feelings that lead me to do good, to love, to serve, to obey, that God always blesses me far beyond my current comprehension.

4 comments:

Jason said...

What an incredible story. What an incredible girl, so willing to follow the promptings and the feelings that she feels, even for something so small as to go to a random chocolate shop. I and know it wasn't just for chocolates for a boyfriend that led you to do it. :) It was for a much better impression. Thanks for being so good always, love. I love you.

-Jase
P.S. Those WERE really good chocolates! :)

Cassia said...

Wow, Ashley, thank you for sharing! I especially appreciated reading the thoughts you had afterward. It is wonderful that you were able to feel perfectly comfortable without having to change anything. :)

Marci Porter said...

Wow... that is amazing! How cool is that! You are such a good example to me... I love you!! :) Thanks for sharing that amazing story.

Rachel said...

seriously I am going to follow my craving for chocolate from now on :) who knows it could be the spirit prompting me. jk. You are amazing! Thanks for sharing that story