CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Looking Beyond...


Last night was particularly rough. Finally after about an hour of lying in bed and telling myself that I was going to just fall asleep and be fine (I expose this as evidence that The best selling book, "The Secret" is in fact fraudulent--otherwise based solely on the power of positive thinking--I would have been sleeping as sweetly as a 3 year old after 2 days @ Disney World!)

On to my latest bout of insomnia:
What was I to do? I was crashing on the couch at my friends apartment, everyone was asleep, and it was after 1am. After an hour or more of attempted reading and journal writing--I was through--there had to be something that I could do. The thought came to mind to forgive someone. OK, there was only one person that I could ever remember having any type of residual hard feelings toward and, well, that was 10 years ago--and I was nearly positive that he wasn't even aware that his actions had hurt me. That and I knew his number still--from 10 years ago, but who has the same number for 10 years? in 10 years I finished high school, attended college, served a full-time mission bringing souls to Christ, lived in 4 countries and 3 states, moved 8 times, had 5 cell phones (complete with new numbers) and I tried to dismiss the thought. Being very thankful for text messaging I realized I could find out who had possession of that number without actually speaking to anyone--and seeing as it was much earlier on the west coast--that is what i did. long story short--he had the same number. Shocked I even thought of him, and even more shocked that I was calling to reconcile torn and tender feelings of trust and respect--after that it was much easier to fall asleep.

And then morning struck. I say that because if I don't get enough sleep it does not help me to start the day off right--but I woke up extra early and was able to make breakfast for my friend and her roommate, help her to start the day off well and then do a few things for some other people--What the difference a day can make. Getting up early, focusing on others, finding joy in service.

Why I share this is not to commend me for a day well-started--although I am very well pleased with the way I chose to live today--I want to share one of my favorite sentiments, and I wanted to share my story to preface why it was on my mind all day.

"The best antidote I know for worry is work. The best medicine for despair is service. The best cure for weariness is the challenge of helping someone who is even more tired." --President Gordon B. Hinckley

******Can I just insert that FLORIDA weather is INSANE? I was laying by the pool after work this afternoon, it started to sprinkle and now 5 minutes later you can't see 5 feet and the golfers on the course behind my house can't even see to drive the carts back to the country club--I LOVE it here!!!***********************************

I have proven this to be a true principle. Whenever I am feeling down I just need to look outside myself. I think we live in a world where people think they will find happiness if they focus on themselves and are self-absorbed or greedy, unkind, or stone-walled--this is so far from truth. I recently had someone tell me 5 times in 3 days in a very rancorous way that I served too much--is it possible to serve too much? I would like to assert that it is not. It is as I forget about the cares and concerns and anxiety of my own life and focus on others that the larger picture comes into view--my heart expands and I am truly happier as I am able to help and lift another.

0 comments: