CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 4, 2007

Ask God to Know for Yourself...

"Salt Lake City 2 May 2007
The Four-hour-documentary "The Mormons" produced by Frontine and the American Experience and aired on PBS in the United States is generating substantial discussion, with lively debate on internet blogs about what it means to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The documentary has led to a 10-fold increase in daily traffic to the Church's Newsroom Web Site. Last night a Church response was posted in the "Commentary column" on the site calling Helen Whitney's work "thought-provoking" and "broad and diverse," yet recognizing that "four hours and numerous interviews can't cover everything" about the church.

For the first time since the redesigned site was launched last December, the public was invited to send comments regarding the documentaries to
newsroom@ldschurch.org. The hundreds of comments received have ranged from those who were impressed with the material and the individuals interviewed to those who were disappointed that the film did not truly capture what they felt the “Mormon” faith is really about.

"On Faith" Blog
Beginning Wednesday and continuing for a week, the Washington Post and Newsweek's jointly published "On Faith" religion blog will devote its question of the week to the topic of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The public - including members of the Church - is invited to respond to any of the panelists' comments at http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/

I love that the documentary is striking interest in people who then must find out for themselves if the Gospel of Jesus Christ is again on the Earth in its fullness. Having studied various diferent religions in my life, and being exposed to them from a young age I was always left with the feeling that although there are good people, and particles of truth in nearly every religion--something wasn't quite complete--so, I went to the only unfailing source of light and truth, God, to find out for myself.

The question posed by Newsweek about whether or not the Mormon faith is becoming a mainstream American religion isn't really the core question; rather, if you are going to spend time asking any questions, begin by asking yourself why all this publicity? Why all the opposition? Why do people care? Is this of God, or is it not true? I know that God will answer. And I believe we should all come to find out for ourselves--maybe it's just the skeptic in me, but I don't take what the PBS documentary or the LDS newsroom say as being valid until I ask God to know for myself. I study it out in my mind, I draw conclusions based on my own experience, I study the written word of God to understand how God has spoken to people in the past, and then I attempt to recognize inspiration that comes as I pray and ask for answers.

0 comments: