CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 20, 2009

Dating...

So... I had to attend a concert choir performance tonight to make up for missing our retreat--to attend Rebecca's wedding--which was totally worth it by the way! And the wonderful date just continued--great conversation--good dinner--and out for ice cream. Oh yeah, and being hit on at Rumbi and by the man at the ice cream shop... I will protect his identity and not tell you which one. It gave us something to laugh at afterward...

Ice cream man: "So, how are you tonight..."
Ashley: "I'm wonderful, and you?"
Ice cream man: "I'm great."
AShley: "I bet--you make people happy all day giving them ice cream."
Icre Cream man: "I bet you make people happy all day in whatever you do..."
Ashley: "ugh... Yep, I'm a massage therapist.
Ice cream man: "Wow. We should totally swap services, I'll provide the ice cream, you provide the massage..."
Ashley: "No. I'd be fat--you'd be healthy."
Ice cream man: "c'mon... if I bat my eyes like this '""'
Ashley: "no"
Ice cream man: "how about the lower lip one..."
Ashley: "works for my nephew, but no."
Ice cream man: "thanks for coming in, be sure to come back.."
(I felt really awkward, I won't lie...) Christi it was like the beach...
"I gotta be honest man... you're really making me feel awkward!" :)

Date: "do you know that guy?"
Ashley: Nope, never seen him before in my life"
Date: "Whoa, I thought he was in your ward or something..."

*I just got off the phone with one of my good guy friends and we had an interesting conversation that sparked a few of these thougths on dating...

The best things about the date: (and from a few others recently)
7:30-10:30--home in time to get ready for Courtney's wedding tomorrow, and respectful of both our time constraints.
Great conversation! I love to learn about people and what they are passionate about and/or going through in life. It's my major for crying out loud. And I don't think there is anything better than being understood.
Being left wanting to see them again and excited about whenever that is.
Having it well planned, but still room to adjust if needed.
Good uplifting environment...and yes--I even took my journal into the concert...
(I only wrote down a few impressions ;)
The adorable little girl in front of us that kept asking if it was over yet--I gave her a piece of bubble gum (after asking her dad) to tide her through the last 2 songs:) What can I say I'm a good aunt! and I remember being there--my attention span isn't much longer.
Having someone look into my eyes when they talk to me.
A hug at the end of the date...maybe it is just having lived in Florida with the Latino greeting (kiss kiss hug) but it's just a nice end to a date.
Getting dressed up and being told you look nice by your date :)
Just someone saying I'd love to get to know you better/spend time with you, can we grab dinner or go to lunch sometime? It is so less scary.
Knowing that there is no pressure--if the first date is fun, we may go out again.
Learning who I am in the context of dating and who they are as well.
"Regards."
Being with someone who makes me laugh.
Someone who isn't texting the whole time/or ever.
Having someone open your door--even if they are just your friend.
Seeing someone a little nervous on the first date--I believe what was said in institute everyone deserves 2 dates at least--1 they are all awkward, 2 you get a chance to see more of who they are.
Knowing that you have nothing to lose. If you don't become best friends, you'll both marry others who are your best friends.
That a great date can be very inexpensive--hikes and walks are fantastic! and for all you lame DTRer's in Provo for giving walks a bad rap... I plan to reinstate the date... I love simple things like that--or going out to the lake and taking a walk, or going to take pictures--personal favorite.
Strolling through historic PC--Park City ;)
Having it well planned...no matter how simple. Reading childrens books at the book store, making cookies and leaving them at random houses, finger painting, ti's mostly about who you are with rather than what you are doing... and if a girl says yes--she values your friendship and wants to get to know you better.

Frustrations--in general: (and if my date tonight is reading this--I totally understand and am not referring to that..)
If you are going to be late, please call.
Call early enough in the week that if I really do want to go out with you, I don't already have 6 dates and you think I don't care...
Have confidence--it is so attractive when a man knows who he is and what he wants and to know that for even an hour he wants to spend time with you.
DON'T ask out via text or facebook or email.
The interrogation: dates should be filled with light, edifying, enjoyable, not stressful... life has enough stress without adding to it.
Don't talk about marriage. A healthy/realistic person is not even thinking marriage in the begining, they are thinking what mountain to hike tomorrow, or what they learned in conversation, or about the NCAA tournament...
Don't send a thank you card a week later if you're not interested...(no names...RH ;)
That is kind of want spured this whole thing.

I think that when we take the pressure off ourselves we actually see if it is someone we enjoy spending time with and can make an informed decision as to whether or not we would like to go out with them again--

PS feel free to leave advice, feedback, male or female... I have a lot to learn!

0 comments: