CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 9, 2009

The Things I Love About Provo...

The sunrises over Y-mountain and light radiating through my window to wake me up.
The view of Timp in the twilight as the sun sets over Utah Lake.
The old man who plays the accordion at Ottavios.
The sweet woman that lives across the street from our apartment.
The family next door that speaks almost no English.
The fact that I am only an hour flight from Steph & Kim,
and a 4 hour drive (if you don't get lost ;) to Christianne.
The young mother who brings her little girl over to play with the rocks in our rock garden.
The date nights I go on with my mother & that she isn't far away.
The surprises that she doesn't need to send home with me--but that I always look forward to :)
The Utah Symphony & it's outdoor performances @ Sundance & in Park City.
The family dinners in PC or @ Benihana or Market Street.
The chicken nuggets @ Chick-fil-a w/Brad & the kids (I love that I think of Brad as much or more than the kids when I go there :)
The learning opportunities Friday morning on our temple shift--I love President & Sister Bateman & Hicken (and I can't remember the other's name....)
The Incredible young women I serve with there.
The just as incredible mothers & grandmothers I serve there with.
The fact that one of my best friends from high school lives next door with his wife and new baby and that I got to be the first baby sitter so they could go out.
The friendly mailman who forgets #1 is on the 3rd floor nearly every day.
The low cost of utilities.
The spirit in the Joseph Smith Building.
The fresh apples from Allreds and the kind woman who works there. And the homemade apple pies & crisps I make with them.
The fact that Gayle & her family moved here from my mission.
The hill that overlooks the city outside the honors building.
The Provo bakery.
The wall of Family & Book of Mormons in each language @ Magelbys. And Doc. I love him. And his rolls.
The statues that they saran wrap when we play the UoU.
The fact that I can bike to the lake, or just go sit and ponder there for hours.
The world-class skiing that is within minutes from my home.
The family owned & operated mexican restraunt--Mi Ranchito
The life-long friends I have met while here at BYU.
The service opportunities.
The smell of weekend campfires.
The laughter and familiarity of good friends and quality ward activities.
The modesty in dress and speech.
The BYU football & basketball games (love you Abby!)
The cleanliness of BYU's campus.
The spring & summers here.
The house that has Christmas lights up all year.
The Utah clean air act.
The Williams Sonoma store I like to wander through in Riverwoods.
The Children's story time at Borders--as much for me as my nieces & nephew :)
The signs on campus that remind us to "Enter to learn go forth to serve."
The fact that I have night and weekend & my favs so I can talk to Lindsay even though she no longer lives in Provo.
The new phone plan Christi is on.
The temple that is 5 minutes from my front door. (and the other 7 that are within an hour.)
The fall leaves on the mountains.
The 2nd largest family history library in the world.
The only J-dawgs in the world.
The view of the valley from the canyon.
The way the sun feels as it pours through my windshield when I park on the road just East of the temple.
The fact that there is a missionary training center here and the spirit that comes with it.
The excellent leadership I am surrounded by and have been: Bishop & Sister Briem, Bishop & Sister Hardy, Bishop & Sister Hunsaker, President Child, President Kearl, President Turley (I don't know their wives...)
The incredible religion classes here.
The musical talent here at BYU.
The stairs south of campus on a quiet short run morning.
The best ward choir & director ever! Love you Jess!
The path on the southside of campus.
The ducks that line the walkway to campus begging for food.
The setting sun that pours in our south-facing windows.
The Costco that is so close.
The fact that Jeri lives close. I love you.
The nice lady Linda that works at Costco.
The salads & guac @ Cafe Rio.
The happy little Zupas that makes me think of Steph & Nic.
The songs/hymns played from the bell tower.
The Tuesday devotionals.
The Ces Firesides.
The fact that I can say hello to anyone--and only about half of them look at me like I am crazy.
The nice lady at the BYU health clinic.
The returning clients I have.
The gym.
The BYU pool.
The courtyard in the Joseph Fielding Smith building.
The smell of the Earth cleansed by rain.
The clarity and pristine blue sky after it snows and clears out the inversion.
The fact that I prayed for the first time out loud here.
The school of family life & it's teachings that have literally changed my life.
The 20min drive to Brad & Abby & Mo's house & the spirit there.
The 60min drive to Matt & Laurie & 'the girls' house.
The crazy ice cream place I go with Sis. Staiger. the fact that I still call her Sis. Staiger.
The proximity of Pres. & Sis. Ludlow & the Grimsruds.
The cemetery that isn't far.
The smell of the pine trees when it rains.
The feeling of being snowed in.
The cleanliness of my house. And my room.
The people around me that are striving to live good, productive, service oriented lives.
The men that hold and live worthy of the power of God.
The best home-teachers I have ever had.
The EQP who actually cares about the people he serves, & tells me when I am acting ridiculous or need to question my assumptions.
The little flower shop by my house.
The opportunity to face my fears.
The quality resources all around me.
The healing/pain of returning.
The Museum of Art.
The aquariums in the bottom of the science buildings.
The library lockers.
The light pouring through the windows in the library on me when I study in my spot :)
The wildflowers along the Provo River trail.
The fact that classes are started with a prayer and taught by the Spirit.
The thoughts by Dr. I in finance class.
The sweet woman Nina from NYC, who owned the Pizza place that used to be by J-dawgs who invited us to dinner at her house.
The opportunity to be a part of conversions of friends from China, the Ukraine, Russia & Japan who are/were here studying.
The BYU LUAU.
The Passover services.
The Provo library.

1 comments:

Cassia said...

Wow. This post brings back a lot of nostalgia (and a bit of homesickness). :) Provo is a pretty good place, isn't it? :)