CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

And... I love & Appreciate Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

Honestly, I should be a little embarassed considering his devotional speech today was like my personal counseling/rebuke session from the Lord... Ok, maybe it just felt that way--I love the spirit of God that can carry the message into the inner sinews of my soul.

I guess you could say I tend to be quite stiffnecked at times and take the truth to be hard. Hard, yes--impossible, no. I adhered to his words of wisdom today--even though at times it felt as though my heart was going to fall from my chest, break open & bleed.

The best truly is yet to come & I need to stop living in the past & trust that the Lord has even better things in store for the future--right in front of me in fact.

Talking to Christianne last night I was looking everywhere for something in particular--and I was so frustrated looking for it--that I kept moving it as I looked deeper... A few months back I was praying for an answer from the Lord on how to move forward--and it was right in front of me (only forgotten until 2 nights ago as I prayed). AND I really used to like these mint brussel cookies (in Florida--I think everything tastes better with a beach!) And, Christi gave me some mint Milanos for Christmas--a few bags in fact--thinking I liked the other ones way better I gave her most of them and didn't even try one until tonight--it was really good. Why three random stories?!? What do they have in common? An area I can improve. Why do I get so bent on what I think I like, or the best I've tried--that I fail to try other things--with the possibility that I may like them even more?!? Why do I insist on knowing best--when sometimes I look right beyond the mark?

I am learning from the teachings of Isaih, that the Lord really does make them plain & easy to understand when filled with the spirit of prophecy--and all too often I am filled with the spirit of 'Ashley thinks she knows best..."

There are so many things that I could talk about today--but I am really tired and when my alarm goes off in 4.5 hours i will be glad that I cut this short :)

But today--like so many days the Lord's hand has been so prevelant that I don't want to overlook it.

*The Sunshine.
*Waking up without an alarm
*Yoga!
*prayer & meditation
*incredibly beautiful Mt. Timp--on the way to school breaking through the clouds!
*I am hiking it this year!
*Studying the teaching of Isaiah
*Apostasy v. Apathy: agreement w/ Bro. Terry Ball
*gratitude for Christ for fulfilling the law of Moses, & respect for the devote Jews who still live the whole law of Moses.
*BYU devotional w/ Elder Jeffrey R. Holland--WOW!
*w/ an amazing friend!
*Seeing a quality old friend who shares my passion to study in the Holy Land.
*Walking on the bridge from campus & knowing I have a reason to be here--but wondering how many people were simply going through the motions because everyone around them was moving...
*Having the conviction to protect my heart from mistreatment
*The feeling that the opposition is the strongest to keep me from moving forward because the Lord is going to bless beyond what I can now imagine--& already is!
*Having my eyes opened to the way things really are
*Cooking a good meal :) I love to cook!
*"I don't think there are any people left here that are as old as we are..." :O
*a message from a good friend from 10,000+ miles away
*Costco & back--in 35 minutes
*dinner group with wonderful people--who were so appreciative! Love them!
*Melissa's dry sense of humor coupled with her very sincere heart!
*Cran Raspberry juice--I love a glass of juice @ the end of a long day :)
--Would that make me a wannabe wine drinker..? Nah...I'll take the juice.
*A holiday next Monday--spent with people I love SO much!
*very understanding clients & friends!
*Studying!
*Studying finance--it goes in a category all it's own--but i'm actually grasping it, applying it, loving it, and changing as a result of what I'm learning!
*Allowing the Lord to make weak things strong by study & also by faith
*The invitation to sing w/a good friend @ a banquet
*The invitation to sing in church--ahh careful what apportunities you ask for
-->it's that 'Costco sized bottle of self-confidence' again!
*moving forward without looking back
*a good roommate & friend willing to listen after a long day
*The opportunity to visit my mission & attend a best friend's sealing--shh don't tell her :) it's a surprise.
*Sharing the gospel with a friend
*the imagery of Brian throwing dry erase markers--still in shock :)
*"it's because I have a Y chromosome..."
*just laughing & unwinding after a REALLY long day.
*Mint Milanos from Christi--and I think I even like 'em--whoa!
*pure joy at the thought of Brad & Abby having a baby this week!
*my niece emailing me throughout the week--she just got her own email address--she is SO smart!

*AND my amazingly inviting bed--compliments of mia Mamma & Brabby's awesome Christmas gifts! Thanks guys :) Love you all!

There are so many more--but I am going to crash!

4 comments:

Jeri May said...

I'm still here for you Ashley. I hope you're enjoying your classes--look at at the "characters" you met last year!

Take Care,
Jeri

Ashley said...

Oh Jeri--I love you--I actually woke up thinking about you this morning and how I miss having you in my classes this semester--I am just coming out of 'hibernation' and would love to catch up. I am sorry I haven't stayed in better contact. I love yOU!

Jeri May said...

I love you too...my phone # is the same. Call when you're ready. I would love your input with my new brochure that is almost finished!

Jeri

Brabby said...

I'm glad that you used the gift card to get some new bedding...it looks great. Mo isn't cooperating too much on her portion of your list!