CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Creating an "Island of time..."

Because of my religion in the home class, I have the opportunity to ponder and seek to better understand why those of other faiths do things and by extension to evaluate what I do and why.

In speaking of sabbath observance, Orthodox Jews are truly incredible. The things they do and don't do in order to preserve the sabbath. Author Greenberg says 'it is a commitment of our own choosing, one that we have lovingly made; it is the manner in which we identify ourselves" (39). She says, "there is a great deal of planning and preparation that goes into creating an island of time..."(33) And further expounds that "there are two ways to prepare oneself--spiritually and physically--the two are intertwined" (46). As a general rule, people do not phone the home of an orthodox Jew on Shabbat--the sabbath (40). "All cooking for Shabbat must be completed before sundown [the day prior]" (43). There are so many other constraints relative to light kindling and usage, travel, work etc. Those who follow all these things exhibit great devotion, which I have not really taken the time to understand until now--and many are still very foreign to me.

Wow. How do I prepare for the sabbath? I do my grocery shopping and clean my house Saturday, I don't pursue educational or vocational things on the sabbath. I don't cause anyone to work. I don't ski or recreate on Sunday. I attempt to not travel heavily on Sunday. I read the assigned readings for Sunday School & Relief Society, I have hymns playing in our home Sunday morning, and like to make breakfast or hot rolls or something. The notion of cutting out noise--the phone--and other chaos is welcomed; although, I find Sunday a wonderful to dy to talk to people from my mission or that I have had the opportunity to share the gospel with. I like to reflect and write in my journal, blog, or just be outside and meditate.

One thing that has always been hard for me to understand is, what I have perceived, an outgrowth of LDS culture, is the huge Sunday meal, lots of guests, hours preparing, many dishes etc. Maybe I am biased after serving on ward council for years and having meetings start as early as 6:30am, with a total of 9 hours of meetings some Sundays. Not to mention travel time to and from church when in Florida. Sundays can be anything but restful. I am trying t strike the balance from the mission field--where Sundy was our greatest day to reach families--they are home and together--a great day to do the Lord's work--and regenerating my spirit and body for the up-coming week. I love the idea of entertaining and having a huge dinner Saturday night--friends, missionaries, good food, and then something that slow cooks itself while at church?

How do you observe the sabbath? Rituals? Traditions? Things you've found effective or less effective?

1 comments:

Rachel said...

this entry reminds me of the first time you came to see me in friday clinic. I was amazed by your dedication to give up water skiing for the sabbath. I miss you ash. I love your blog. I read it often for inspiration :)